The Black Experience in Mental Health and Substance Abuse Counseling
- Participants will gain knowledge of African-American pioneers, who greatly influenced the field of Psychology and Counseling.
- Participants will learn the importance of multicultural and diversity training for specialized populations such as African-Americans for effective, beneficial and positive therapeutic process.
- Participants will gain knowledge of the African-American History and Culture.
- Participants will gain insight on how being aware of one’s own personal bias and prejudices can affect the counseling process with African-Americans.
- Participants will gain knowledge on skills, strategies, and approaches for developing counseling theories and styles to best meet the needs of their African-American male, female, youth, LGBTQ community and addiction clients.
- Participant will gain understanding regarding African-Americans and the stigma associated with mental health and substance abuse treatment, which present challenges and barriers to obtaining behavioral health services.